Hank Johnston (as he was known for many years) was born on June 19, 1888 in Toronto, Ontario.
Johnston exhibited only once with The Group of Seven, in their first show at the Art Gallery of Toronto (now the Art Gallery of Ontario) in May 1920.
The following year, he left Toronto to become Principal at the Winnipeg School of Art.
In 1924, he announced his official resignation from the Group of Seven, asserting that he had no disagreement with the group, only that he wanted to go his own way with regards to exhibitions.
In 1927, Johnston changed his name to the more exotic title of `Franz’ Johnston. He painted over 250 paintings in his entire career.
Johnston passed away on July 19, 1949, in Toronto, Ontario, at age 61.
- Group of Seven … or is that ten? (tkmorin.wordpress.com)
- Help Finish the Job! (tkmorin.wordpress.com)
- Camouflaged Ships … (tkmorin.wordpress.com)
- The Solemn Land (tkmorin.wordpress.com)
- “Look What I Found!” (tkmorin.wordpress.com)