I am a humble blogger, writing to entertain herself … and hopes to entertain some people out there. I have received nominations for awards, and I confess I couldn’t understand what they really were. But now, I accept and share!
The page name “Award” is a misnomer, as below are award nominations, not a winner of the award itself.
June 13, 2013
Today, I was graced with a beautiful award. It is like none other out there. It’s not based on traffic, particular interest, certain denomination. This one is based entirely on the person receiving the award! It’s called the Rose of kindness Award.
To understand the depth of this award, you must, at the very least, visit Tersia. A special woman who’s spirit is behind this award. Please visit the blog!
This is what Tersia had to say in her Blog Awarding >>
Today I stumbled across an amazing blog. It is a blog about kindness…. http://kindnessblog.com Please pop in there. Let’s all think about “kindness” and make it our goal to perform just one special act of kindness every day! It has to be a special act of kindness that actually takes an effort.Vic was a kind and generous person. Her legacy is one of kindness and generosity. So I have come up with an award… The Rose of Kindness Award. I would like to add that we need to remember that our existence here is fragile, and we never have as much time with people as we think we do. If there is someone or someone’s out there that you love, don’t neglect that and don’t put off engaging with them because death waits for no-one… Be kind and gentle. Cherish your relationships remember to be kind…. Pay it forward!
Okay, down to business!
Rules of the Rose of Kindness Award:
Add the Rose of Kindness Award on your blog
Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
Nominate 13 (my lucky number) bloggers whose kindness you have experienced
Post why you are nominating each of your nominees
Let the nominees know that you nominated them
Suggest one special act of kindness that the world may benefit from
I like this part. I’m to thank the person who gave me the award. His name is Shaun, and he blogs at Looking for reasoning to a complicated world. Shaun is a gentle soul, an open person, a gentleman, and becoming a dear friend. Every day he lets us in his world, and shares many wonderful and entertaining posts. Thank you, Shaun!!
Now for my second favourite part. I get to tell you, the reader, about other bloggers who have left their footprints in my heart.
In NO particular order, here are some of ’em.
How’s it going, eh? – Shelli comes by regularly and gives me encouragement with her “likes”. I’m sure Shelli has no idea how valuable that is to me! Thanks shelli!
Hermit’s door – I’m bad with names, so if he ever wrote his name, I can’t remember. But I can say that when I see the little picture of a good looking man with a big dog, I just know his comment is enlightening and amusing. He brightens my day when he drops by! Thanks, “Hermit”!
Map of Time – J.G. Burdette is a new friend who drops by with a wit that makes me smile! Thanks, J.G.!
El Space – L. Marie is a regular visitor and I always look forward to what she has to say. On her blog and in comments on mine. Very entertaining! Thanks, L. Marie!
Outside the Box Cartoon – Marti may not realize it, but the wonderful artwork and very funny drawings always makes me smile … very funny, and even thought-provoking sometimes. Thanks, Marti!
Cindy Bruchman – Cindy is an author and an incredible blogger. She pops in to say hi and her blog is always a joy to read! A light that shines bright! Thanks, Cindy!
Michelle Bennetts Heumann on Facebook – Michelle drops by regularly, says a kind word, or shares something with me and my readers. It’s always a pleasure to see her dropping by! Thanks, Michelle!
Weggie Boy – I know he’s shared with me his name, but as I said, I have a lousy memory for names. But that’s okay, because “Weggie Boy” says it all, doesn’t it? He is a new friend who makes me laugh. He has two persian cats (I have one) and I get such joy watching his videos!! Thank you, Weggie Boy!
And Yet The Books – Fresh from Poland, “The Squirrel Residence”. His posts are bilingual, and so entertaining! Ale entertains with photos, news and stories, and reviews. And I love that he comes by to visit every now and then! Someone who nurtures my love of words. Thanks, Ale!
Canadaism – Cameron (O’Hara) is a such a character, and I mean that in the best possible way. He’s a great artist and graphic designer, too! Oh yeah, and he also does translations in Japanese! I love it when he visits me, and I love his blogs! Thanks Cameron!
Ajay Tao – Ajay is such a kind soul. You can read it in comments and see it in his photos and in every inspirational quotes. A real joy to call him friend. Thanks Ajay!
Micheline Walker – Micheline is such a wonderful writer and blogger. I enjoy reading her posts. Micheline has an uncanny effect on me – she encourages me to write, and ignites my brain to write about my passion, history. Thank you, Micheline!
Historical writings – Roger has put together an extraordinary blog. He taunts me (I don’t think he realizes it) and teaches me and makes me want to write! Thank you, Roger!
Ummm, is it that time again? You mean I can’t keep going? But there are others I can list! Oh okay. I suppose I’ve listed enough here that you will be sure to find quite a few that you’ll like. I’m sure you will!
May 29, 2013
I have been so busy this last month, that I have been remiss acknowledging and “paying forward” many award nominations! Since there are so many, I’m going to amalgamate them all into one. I hope I am forgiven for this non-traditional approach!
Oh, I should also mention that because I’ve received over a dozen nominations this month alone, I want to apologize ahead of time to anyone who has given me an award and is not mentioned here! I am appreciative of them all, to be acknowledged! So to everyone, thank you!!
I begin with acknowledging my dear (virtual) friends who have expressed their respect for my blog via awards:
Ajay – a gentle soul who shares the most beautiful Photos you have ever seen!
Shaun – a wonderful guy who lives in Scotland and is disabled with Chronic Pain Syndrome; with humour, he encourages us to live with our own pain!
L. Marie – a special good-natured woman who inspires writers (and people) with anecdotes, guest authors’ interviews, and so much more!
Mama Cormier – an amusing woman who shares with us her thoughts and opinions, always in a very interesting way!
Furry Little Gnome – a “not so old” lady who tend to focus on travel, food, the weather, her trips, and much more!
Old Mainer – a kind man who shares a few “scribblings that you might enjoy” (and he always delivers!)
Imagineer-ing – Steve, “an adventure in reading, writing & publishing”; always inspiring and entertaining!
The Seeker – Perpetua – a gentle soul who asks you to play along with her as she seeks answers, and enjoys questioning everyone, all with the greatest sense of humour!
1-Display the award logo on your blog.
2-Link back to the person who nominated you.
3-Answer 7 questions.
4-Nominate ( no limit of nominations ) other bloggers for this award and link back to them.
5-Notify those bloggers of the award requirements.
The 7 Questions (Can you all please answer the same questions) Thanks
THE 7 QUESTIONS:
1-If you could create your planet what would it look like? – Free libraries at each corner of every street. They would have comfy couches, clean bathrooms and free drinks!
2-If you could visit one nation you have never visited before, what nation would that be? – Paris! Arguably the most romantic city in the world. I am looking forward to visiting its museums, cafe, boutiques …
3-Have you ever taken a long distance train trip? – The longest I’ve ever been on was travelling from Montreal to Ottawa … just a few hours! I loved it!
4-What is something you would collectively change about humanity? – Greed, power, jealousy, judging …
5-What is your favourite song? – This changes several times a day, really. But right now? I’d have to say Joan Armatrading; I love all her songs!
6-If you could meet one person who is still alive who would you choose to meet? – Gosh, there are so many, each for a different reason. I suppose if I had to mention just one, it would have to be William Shatner (of Star Trek fame).
7-If you could choose one symbol to represent you, what would that symbol be and why? – The Unicorn. It’s a (alleged) myth, therefore it could be anything I attach to it; it’s (allegedly) magical, so I could heal and bring comfort to all who need it; and they resemble one of my favourite animals, the horse!
My Nominations (in no particular order whatsoever) and assuming that I don’t nominate those who nominated me:
Just Canadian – “Canadian Music, Movies, Politics,Goodies and Viewpoint”, all with a great sense of humour!
Appy Daze Blog – “FREE educational apps for kids and the adults in their lives”, every day a new one without fail!
Vincent Mars – “A boy with a hat” is a talented writer, who shares his works with us, as well as his musings!
Canadaism – Cameron Ohara is a guy with a great sense of humour whose latest blog is about Canada-isms!
Canada Alive! – “Everything you wanted to know, and the stuff you didn’t, about Canada”!
Canadian Music Blog – is a blog I’ve only recently met, but teaches and entertains me so much!
Cara Canadiana – “Understanding Canada one post at a time”!
Clan Mother – a humorous woman who would like us to join her in her explorations about life!
Obscure Canadian Icons – “The www’s best site for the best unknown Canadian Landmarks”!
This Day in Canadian History – Well, I’m sure you can not only deduce what his blog is about, but also why I enjoy his posts! Very nicely done, I might add!
Finally, here are the awards, old and new, for which I’ve been nominated!
May 7, 2013
I have the rare honour of receiving two separate awards this week-end!
The first one nominating me for the Sunshine award is a great website on its own, Soul Gathering, a blog by Theresa. Thanks Theresa!!
The rules are 1. Display the award. 2. Nominate 7 blogs. 3. Describe seven things other bloggers may not know about you.
I therefore nominate the following 7 bloggers that I would like you to visit because they’re blogs I enjoy, in NO particular order:
1. illerbrown by Brian.
2. Reading, Writing, Other by Mark Harwood.
3. War and Security by Martin Gibson.
4. After the Kids Leave by two sisters with a great sense of humour.
5. Micheline’s Blog by Micheline Walker.
6. “My adventures in art” by Kevin Cameron.
7. How’s It Going, eh? by Shelli.
Are you still reading? Oh, okay. Describe seven things about myself, eh?
1. I enjoy scrapbooking. 2. I’m following the Jodi Arias murder trial and I’m not too embarrassed to tell you. 3. Whenever there’s a lull in TV world, while I’m working on my blog, I watch CBC news or CNN (depending on what’s going on in the world. 4. I love my KOBO e-reader. 5. I enjoy playing golf or crosswords on my Nintendo 3D. 6. I’m embarrassed that Joe Fresh and Disney, both of which I loved, used “slave labour” in Bangladesh. 7. I’ve always wanted to be a published author.
The second one nominating me for the Liebster award is Created by RCW, a blog by someone who’s initial is RCW. Thanks RC!!
The rules for the Liebster Blog Award are:
List 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer a series of questions that were asked of you.
Nominate another 11 bloggers for the Liebster Award and link to their blogs.
Notify those bloggers of their nominations.
Ask those bloggers 11 questions they must answer in accepting their award.
Questions for the nominees:
What is your primary art, whether desired or actively pursued?
I love writing, reading, and just about anything I feel like :>
Artichokes, brussel sprouts, beets, bok choy, durian. Which, if any, of these do you enjoy eating?
I have no idea what bok choy or durian is, but I love all vegetables!
What teacher meant the most to you in your life (school or otherwise)? I’m not sure about “most”, but I am thankful for my typing and shorthand teacher, in Montreal — it’s been so long, I can’t remember her name.
Do you actively or would you consider mentoring someone? Mentoring implies so much responsibility. Let’s just say that if I can help someone, I will.
Are you funny and can you give an example (either way)? I certainly laugh at my own jokes, so yes. Example? Ummm … I’m a spontaneous person, do puns all the time. Stay tuned.
If you could be any other species, which would you choose? A cat, hands down. Only “duties” is sometimes acknowledging my owners, if I feel like it, eat the food my owners give me, and find a nice ray of sunshine and sleep. The best life ever!! :>
Pick a number between 1 and 3. That’s funny because I’ve always found 13 to be my lucky number!
Do you live urban, suburban or rural? Ottawa has multiple personalities, so it’s difficult to narrow it down.
What is the most exotic place you have ever visited (define exotic as you wish)? As an adult I travelled alone to Disney World in Florida — yep, told you I liked Disney!
What actor or performer turns you on? Turns your stomach? Geez, that’s a hard one. I guess at the moment, as it varies, would be Amanda Tapping, ’cause I think she’s a pretty good actress. Turns my stomach? I’d have to say anything Tim Burton … for some reason, they creep me out.
When was the last time you cried (for whatever reason, positive or negative)? Hello, menopause here! I cry during ads! The last time was earlier today when I watched American Idol — I hate to see people’s dream dim.
Nominate another 11 bloggers. I’m openly breaking the rules here. I’m going to make my list short nearly by half and nominate 5. Sorry. Again, in NO particular order, here are other bloggers I suggest you visit:
April 29, 2013:
I want to send a warm thank you to Ajaytao for the bouquet!! It’s appreciated, especially coming from someone who posts beautiful photos every day, without disappointment!
The Rules for this bouquet are:
1. Display your award picture, on a blog post.
2. Thank the person who nominated you, and link back to them in your post.
3. Pass the nomination on to 15 blogs/bloggers that you have recently discovered.
4. Contact the blogs/ bloggers, to tell them that you have nominated them!
5. Finally share 7 things about yourself.
So, seven things about myself, eh? Okay, here goes:
1. I’m learning that I really enjoy writing a blog, and virtually meeting other bloggers.
2. I’m not very good at finding seven things about myself 😉
3. I enjoy kid’s cartoons, and animations, especially Disney!
4. I enjoy reading, looking at old (pre-1900) maps, books and ads.
5. I’m allergic to tree nuts and chocolate.
6. Did I mention I’m not good at coming up with seven things to say about myself?
7. I love food that’s bad for me, like poutine.
I would like to nominate (in absolutely no particular order) the following bloggers:
1. Shaun’s Praying For One Day.
2. Mark Armstrong Illustration.
3. Draw and Shoot.
4. Getting to Know Canada.
5. Map of Time.
6. History Zone.
7. History Hodge Podge.
9. Hoof Beats and Foot Prints.
10. Star Trek Blog.
11. Simple Pleasures.
12. Isle of Books.
13. Essential Bygone Housewifery.
15. Hey Beergutt!!.
Sunday, April 14, 2013:
I am honoured by The Howling Mad Cat for nominating me today for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award!
The rules are:
1. Display the award logo on your blog.
2. Link back to the person who nominated you.
3. State 7 things about yourself .
4. Nominate 5 other bloggers for this award and show their links.
5. Go to their pages and tell them.
Seven things about myself, in no particular order:
1) I love cats, but I confess I’ve owned dogs. 2) Besides Canadian history and trivia, I mostly read Sci-Fi. 3) I’m allergic to chocolate and tree nuts, and I’m reminded of this every Christmas and Easter. 4) My birthday is on September 11th, which has become more sombre since 9/11. 5) I like to show up at events and appointments at least fifteen minutes early.
The hard part is nominating 5 bloggers (hard because way more than five should be singled out):
* Clanmother “A backward look forward”
* A Word In Your Ear “Stories and Photographs of my travels, Tales of friends, family, animals and my life”
* Simple Pleasures “Photography and more”
* August in Alaska “Inspiration by location, come see the world through my eyes.”
* Isle of Books “A blog of book reviews and writing advice”
* The Seeker “3Ps: Pilgrim’s Progress by Perpeua”
Thank you to all of you for brightening my days!
I would like to [profusely] thank my good friend Seeker for today’s nomination! Recognition is always appreciated, isn’t it?
This one is called the Reality Blog Award! (Recipients are asked to put the award photo on your blog):
According to legend, for the spirit of Pay-it-Forward to fill your life with many days of a warmth in your heart, and somehow also has a tendency to make the recipient see life through rose-coloured glasses, you must take the next step and answer the legendary questions:
1) If you could change one thing, what would you change?
Though there would be so many repercussions, I would nonetheless wish for many more sunny days!
2) If you have just one book with you on a deserted island, what would it be?
Sounds corny, but I would bring the bible.
3) What is one thing that really scares you?
As I mentioned elsewhere, I have a deep fear of heights and, by association, bridges. I absolutely panic!
4) What is one dream you have not completed, and do you think you will be able to complete it?
Visit Paris, France. And all I need is to keep saving until I can pay for transportation, accommodation and enough for everything else. I will definitely get there one day!!
5) If you could meet any TV or movie star who is still alive, who would it be?
I think I would like to meet Stephen Harper, just so I’d know he’s listening … too cynical? How about Roberta Bondar, Canadian astronaut, because I absolutely admire her accomplishments.
And now, a few blogs I nominate, in no particular order:
1) History Hod ge Podge – history with a zany sense of humour.
2) Hoof Beats and Foot Prints – where you can find beautiful and awe-inspiring photos.
3) Animal Palooza – Anything and everything about animals, usually gives a chuckle or an “Awwww …”
4) Essential Bygone Housewifery – Posts about time gone by, homemaker-related, often funny, always interesting.
5) All Things Canadian by a Canadian – a new blog about Canada that promises to be great.
Thank you all for your entertainment, knowledge, and all sorts of pleasure!!
Thank you, Ky, for nominating me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Wow, those are words that sound difficult to live up to!
Ky, blogger at Ky Grabowski, has kindly nominated me for this special award.
Name seven things about myself? Well, 1. I have a fear of bridges; 2. I still love Poutine, even though it’s really bad for me; 3. I drink more Coke, even though I know it’s really bad for me; 4. Some days I’ll call my cat “he” and other days “she” (Rufus is a boy); 5. I miss Downton Abbey; 6. If I’m not reading about history or trivia, I’m usually reading sci-fi books; 7. Worth repeating: I really, really have a fear of bridges!
My nominations for fellow bloggers I “need” to follow, in no particular order, are:
1. boy with a hat – for a special treat, download and read his book “50 Tales: 50 stories of 50 words each.”
2. Two Rock Chronicles – Inspiring articles.
3. The History Squirrel – Very interesting history posts.
4. History Kicks Ass – Seems to enjoy history as much as I do.
5. Little Bits of History – another history blog that inspires me.
6. Postcard Lovers – words wouldn’t give it justice – a must see.
7. Infographic List – I just love these things!
8. The Train Stopped Miles Ago – A UK “guy’s rants” are pretty interesting.
9. My Blog About Your Blog – A journey through blogs
10. Ann Rule’s Web Log – True crime author’s site. She’s the best!
11. Herstory Calendar
– The Canadian Woman’s Calendar (I’m one of those who read it as an anthology)
12. Medieval Fragments – Erik posts interesting work!
13. I want Ice Water – A mix of humour & seriousness, reflecting personal philosophy of life.
14. Greenhorn Photos – Amazing Photos!
And finally, last, but definitely NOT least!
15. The Seeker – Posts always inspiring!
The Shine On Award:
Thank you theseeker for the Shine On award nomination.
Here’s a list of blogs that make me smile and feed my curiosity — in NO particular order:
CanadianCultureThing – Canadiana at its best!
Amy’s Scrap Bag – a blog about libraries, archives and history.
alesiablogs – Blog About Ordinary Life Told In Extraordinary Fashion!
CaraCanadiana – understanding Canada one post at a time.
NJBiblio – getting techie one site at a time.
Women’s Support Network – A great support for women!
How’s it going, eh? – A Japanese-American valley girl’s notes on the adaptation of life to The Great White North!!!
And Yet The Books – A museologist and journalist
Divine Rush – Ky is her name, and writing is her game!
Cameron Ohara – Friendly Gaijin at Large (and great artist!)
… and a little about me, eh? Well, let’s see. I am a proud breast cancer survivor, and thankful for all the brave women who suffered before me so that my journey was that much easier. The experience also helped me to take life one day at a time, and try never to take anything for granted. Though it doesn’t define me, it certainly plays a part of who I am!
The Versatile Award:
Thank you Divine Rush for the nomination!
The rules for this Award nomination are:
• If you are nominated, you’ve been awarded the Versatile Blogger award.
• Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their site.
• Copy and paste the award to your blog.
• Share 7 random facts about yourself.
• Nominate 5 bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly and include a link to their site.
• Let the other Bloggers know that you have nominated them.
So, 7 random facts about myself … here we go:
1. I love to read! Primarily about Canadian history and trivia, but I also enjoy science-fiction. A few of my favourite authors, not necessarily in any order, are: Mike Simcoe/Mike Shepherd, David Weber, Peter David, Anne McCaffrey, and others.
2. After an accident, I spent three years in a wheelchair.
3. I have a weakness for coke and pretzels … and my morning cup of coffee!
4. My current favourtie TV shows are: every show that is part of the Stargate series, and Sanctuary, reruns, Downton Abbey, The Following, Covert Affairs, Person of Interest, Castle, Elementary … and others.
5. I admit to watching some reality TV shows: Project Runway, America’s Next Top Model (though I so not like the way it’s changing), Survivor, Big Rich Texas and American Idol.
6. My “bucket list” only has one more item, really, and that’s visiting Paris, France … (I’m still trying to save money).
7. Lastly, I’ve dreamt of being published since a child. The two closest I’ve gotten, is publishing an article in a magazine for children’s wear manufacturers, and an article for one of the Bathroom Reader’s books. I’m not letting go of this dream!!
Phew! That wasn’t as easy as I’d thought! Now for the easy part, the blogs that I nominate (actually, the difficult part of this is regretting the blogs I love but leave out), in absolutely no particular order:
1. Just Outside the Box Cartoons – Funny!
2. Wrong Hands Cartoons – Also funny!
3. Our Adventures in Canada – new site by Xan and Stef now living in Edmonton.
4. The Seeker – Pilgrim’s Progress by Perpetu – will keep you entertained and feeling good!
5. The Happy Logophile – Jo Eberhardt writes about writing, and life; very good reading!
Thank you all!