Bennettville, B.C. Here Seeker tells us of a time gone by … – tkmorin
Today, looking southwest from the dock of Bridges Restaurant, you see commercial wharves, and office and residential buildings. Sixty-three years ago, this area was a tidal flat rising to an elevation of 20 feet at the railway tracks, which were 300 feet from the shore. In 1933, it was known as Bennettville, and it was a collection of shacks and float houses built by squatters and the unemployed who were not on relief.
The name was derived from R.B. Bennett, Canada’s Prime Minister at the time. Needless to say, Bennettville was not recognized by city hall as a district of Vancouver. There were no roads, no services, and garbage and sewage went directly into False Creek. It was also home to small fishermen who caught fish from the Capilano River run, and between the Point Grey bell buoy and the mouth of the north arm of the Fairview slopes and…
View original post 161 more words