RSS

This week in Canadian History – January Week 2

07 Jan
Laurier Palace Theatre, Ste Catherine Street East

Laurier Palace Theatre, Ste Catherine Street East (Photo credit: douaireg)

This is a repost of last year, but the story remains interesting.  I hope you agree.

On Sunday, January 9, 1927, the Laurier Place fire, also known as Laurier Place Theatre Crush, there was a fire at a movie theatre in Montreal, Quebec.

It is believed that the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette, burning between floorboards, that was from an earlier comedy show Get ‘me young!

800 children attended the movie, and panic ensued when the smoke started.

All the children were up on the balcony. They had difficulty getting to safety because one of the emergency exit door was locked.

Even though Firefighter Station number 13 is just across the street and went to work at the theatre, it wasn’t fast enough: 78 children died. Of them, 12 were crushed, 64 asphyxiated, and 2 actually died from the fire itself.

To read more, you could read my entry on BiteSizeCanada website. You a an also read the original newspaper article from the Gazette.

Advertisements
 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “This week in Canadian History – January Week 2

  1. Leslie Welsh Robinson

    January 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

    Terrible story! I had never heard about it before.

     
    • tkmorin

      January 13, 2014 at 7:19 pm

      It’s an unfortunate part of history, though not that long ago, I agree.

       
  2. icelandpenny

    January 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

    This incident affected lives long afterward. After the fire, the authorities decided to ban children from movies. (Easier than creating/enforcing better fire safety codes?) As a child growing up in Montreal, I could only go to the movies at special, I think twice-yearly, times — memory says Christmas and Easter holidays but I may be wrong. Children’s movies were shown, and kids crowded the theatres. My mother later said it was a very efficient way to ‘schedule’ when we all became infected with the usual childhood diseases such as measles and chicken pox — you could be sure that, after sitting in a jammed theatre with hordes of other kids, your child would pick up something. “I always knew when to be on the alert,” she said.

     
    • tkmorin

      January 10, 2014 at 10:11 am

      Wow, I didn’t know that! Very interesting, thank you for the comment! It’s most appreciated! 🙂 Have a great New Year!

       
  3. hairballexpress

    January 8, 2014 at 10:46 pm

    What a horrible thing to happen! Poor little creatures… And all that sorrow because of a cigarette! (* sigh *)

     
  4. seeker

    January 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm

    I agree. I certainly hope that no backs doors are kept locked after this horrible incident.

     
  5. L. Marie

    January 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

    What a sad story.

     
    • tkmorin

      January 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm

      Yeah, it is. I thought it should be remembered though.

       
  6. urkaicommunity

    January 7, 2014 at 6:52 pm

    Did you just change you whole website, and move off of .com?

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: