Fire!

Laurier Palace Theatre, Ste Catherine Street East
Laurier Palace Theatre, Ste Catherine Street East (Photo credit: douaireg)

 

On Sunday, January 9, 1927, the Laurier Place fire, also known as Laurier Place Theatre Crush, there was a fire at a movie theatre in Montreal, Quebec.

 

It is believed that the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette, burning between floorboards, that was from an earlier comedy show Get ‘me young!

 

800 children attended the movie, and panic ensued when the smoke started.

 

All the children were up on the balcony. They had difficulty getting to safety because one of the emergency exit door was locked.

 

Even though Firefighter Station a number 13 is just across the street and went to work at the theatre, it wasn’t fast enough: 78 children died. Of them, 12 were crushed, 64 asphyxiated, and 2 actually died from the fire itself.

 

To read more, you could read my entry on BiteSizeCanada website. You a an also read the original newspaper article from the Gazette.

 

6 comments

Let me know what's on your mind

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.