It is believed that the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette, burning between floorboards, that was from an earlier comedy show Get ‘me young!
800 children attended the movie, and panic ensued when the smoke started.
All the children were up on the balcony. They had difficulty getting to safety because one of the emergency exit door was locked.
Even though Firefighter Station a number 13 is just across the street and went to work at the theatre, it wasn’t fast enough: 78 children died. Of them, 12 were crushed, 64 asphyxiated, and 2 actually died from the fire itself.