…. This is sad indeed — tkmorin
- After fifty years Canada’s Purr-liament Hill cats get the axe; hope they get pensions (tkmorin.wordpress.com)
- Parliament Hill cat sanctuary shutting down for good (cbc.ca)
- After more than 50 years, Parliament Hill cat sanctuary to shut down (ctvnews.ca)
- Parliament Hill’s cat sanctuary ‘disbands’ after more than fifty years (news.nationalpost.com)
- A legacy for the parliamentary cats? (kendrakandlestar.wordpress.com)
- After fifty years Canada’s Purr-liament Hill cats get the axe; hope they get pensions (dcmontreal.wordpress.com)
- Days numbered for ‘Cats of Parliament Hill’ (metronews.ca)
Now Stephen Harper and his Conservatives have gone too far. Never mind scrapping the gun registry, or cutting back on environmental funding, or even putting an end to prison fundraising for charities. Now we are about to lose, after 50 years, that venerable Parliament Hill institution, the cat sanctuary. According to CTV:
Cats were originally used on the Hill as a means of pest control, and at one point nearly three dozen felines lived there, all cared for by volunteers and donations
And now what? No pests on Parliament Hill? I beg to differ.
The remaining cats are getting too old and fragile for the Ottawa winter, so volunteers have decided to take them home and disband.
A Facebook page dedicated to the Parliament Hill cats has been started and has over 4000 “Likes” thus far.
I certainly hope those cats get full pensions!